“Shiso Maki” is a local dish from the Tsugaru region of Aomori prefecture. It is the perfect dish for the hot summer months when many people experience a loss of appetite. In addition to eggplant, the dish can be prepared with cowpeas or myoga.
*This recipe is based on recipes from “Food Culture Tradition Guidebook.”
Ingredients [16 serving(s)]
- 2 Asian eggplants
- 16 shiso leaves (perilla)
- Seasoning (4 tablespoons of miso, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of sake)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Cut the eggplant vertically into 8 pieces.
- Mix the seasoning.
Add a little bit of red pepper for extra heat.
- Marinate the eggplant with the mixed seasoning from step 2., then wrap with one shiso leaf.
Either red or green shiso leaves can be used.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan, and fry the eggplant on both sides.
If the eggplant seems undercooked, add a small amount of water and put a lid on the pan to steam cook.
This is an excellent summer dish as a side dish of a meal or a snack to accompany a drink.