As it becomes cold and cold day by day, it is the best season to enjoy a Japanese hot pot dish or “nabe.” Here is a recipe for the nabe using a Chinese cabbage that will taste more by exposure to frost.
Main production area of the Chinese cabbage in Aomori Prefecture: Kuroishi City, Misawa City, Hirakawa City, Tohoku-machi, Oirase-Cho
Ingredients [serves 4 serving(s)]
- 1/4 (750g) Chinese cabbage
- 1/2 pack (150g) of mizuna (potherb mustard)
- 400 g thinly sliced pork
- 5 g of kombu (dried kelp)
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 250 ml water
- 3 tbsp of sake
- 3 tbsp of soy sauce
- Grated daikon (giant white radish) and ponzu sauce (juice of acidic citrus fruits) for serving, optional
- Lay the Chinese cabbage and pork alternately and cut it into 5 cm width.
- Cut mizuna into 5 cm. Cut shiitake into easy-to-eat pieces.
- Put the kombu in a pot and spread the ingredients of step one. Fill in the gaps with shiitake.
Tips: It is also delicious to cut Chinese cabbage into a chunk and add all the ingredients to the pot at once.
- Add water, sake, and soy sauce, cover with a lid, and heat it for 5 minutes.
- When pork is cooked, put mizuna, then ready to serve.
- Enjoy it with the grated radish and ponzu sauce as you like.