Cabbages harvested in Aomori Prefecture are shipped mainly in summer through autumn, and in the current season, those called highland cabbages cultivated in mountainous land are primarily available. The highland cabbages suit for stir-fry dishes because they are moderately hydrating and have a hard texture.
This month, here is the recipe for okonomiyaki using highland cabbages with high nutrition and mountain yam. Since it is not using flour, it is stomach-friendly and good for your health. It is also recommended to add meat or frozen seafood mix if you like.
Ingredients [approximately 10 sheets serving(s)]
- 1/6 (150g) cabbage
- 1/6 (200g) yam
- 1 and a half (10g) tbsp powder-type dashi
- 5g sakura-ebi or sakura shrimps (tiny, dried shrimps)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Okonomiyaki sauce, bonito flakes, ponzu, and so on as you like
- Mince cabbage.
- Peal yam and grate using a grater.
- Crack and beat eggs.
- Add Sakura shrimp, powder-type dashi, yam, and minced cabbage, and mix them.
- Grease olive oil on the frying pan and heat it.
- Roll out the dough into bite-sized pieces and fry on both sides over medium heat.
- When baked, serve it with sauce, bonito flakes, ponzu, and so on.