“DANGO-JIRU (dumpling soup)” using potatoes, with a characteristic of dumpling’s texture, is the local food of Misawa area, Aomori Prefecture. It is seasoned with soy sauce or miso and uses vegetables available at home as ingredients when cooking.
Ingredients [5 serving(s)]
- 5 potatoes
- 100 – 150 g potato starch
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1 burdock
- 1 leek
- 150 g chicken
- 5 cup dashi (chicken broth and the soaking liquid used for dried shiitake mushroom)
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp sake
- A little vinegar to remove impurities of burdock
- Peel and grate the potatoes. Shave carrot and burdock, and soak burdock into the water with vinegar to remove impurities. Cut other ingredients into bite sizes.
- Rince and expose the grated potato to water and repeatedly change its water until there is no more red water. At this time, expose the grated potato and precipitated- starch separately in water.
Tips: If it is not enough to rinse, it darkens when finished. So, it is essential to rinse thoroughly.
- Squeeze out the grated potato’s liquid using breached cloth, keeping a little water left. Mix its separated starch and potato starch and roll it into a bite-size ball (oblong).
- Add burdock, shiitake mushroom, carrot, and chicken in that order into dashi soup, and season it.
- When the ingredients are cooked, add potato dumplings.
- After the dumpling comes floating, add leeks, and turn off the heat.